Puppy Training Classes
Want to get your puppy started on the right paw? Our puppy training classes are a great way to teach social skills, good manners, and a positive attitude about learning. We want to teach you how to teach your puppy basic commands and good manners.
Puppies must be at least ten weeks old (and no older than sixteen weeks of age) and have had two full sets of shots prior to starting the class. We will ask for proof of vaccinations. We participate in the American Kennel Club’s STAR Puppy Program. For more information go to www.akc.org. Puppies older than sixteen weeks of age are ready to enroll in Basic obedience.
Puppy class days & times:
Saturday mornings, from 9:00 am to 10:00 am.
Monday evenings, from 7:00 to 8:00 pm.
No classes will be held on Saturday, May 27th or Monday, May 29th, due to Memorial holiday.
No classes will be held on Saturday, July 1st or Monday, July 3rd, due to 4th of July holiday.
Classes are one hour a week for seven weeks, for $125.
Because puppies are born throughout the year, you can start class with your puppy on any week that we are holding classes. The first time you come to puppy class, one of Kindred Spirits’ trainers will give you (and any other first week students) the first, introductory lesson. Class sessions two through seven will be done as part of the puppy class group, with testing for the STAR program on the seventh class.
To register for class:
- Registration will be done at the first class meeting, on the field. Come to our training field 10-15 minutes early the first time you come to class.
- Your puppy must be current on his vaccinations, so please bring proof of vaccinations with you to the first class.
- Payment may be made at the beginning of the first class with cash, check, or credit card.
- Bring your puppy on the leash and collar that you’re currently using. (Except, the only leash we do not allow on the training field are the retractable/flexi leashes—just a standard fixed length leash is great.)
Puppy Play Time
Any puppy enrolled in Kindred Spirits Puppy training classes can participate in the puppy play sessions. Puppies get to run and play with each other for the entire hour. Puppies playing with other puppies, outside of their family, is wonderful for teaching body language, dog manners, communication and social skills, and a little bit of patience, too!
ONLY for puppies enrolled and presently attending puppy classes at Kindred Spirits. No playtime on major holidays or in the rain.
Thursdays 5:30-6:30 pm, $5 per session
We want to teach you how to train your puppy! Each week, we cover different topics, practice around distractions, and work with you, wherever you and your puppy are at in your training. We’ll do a warm up to get the puppies attention, then talk and cover some topics, then bring the puppies out to practice. STAR stands for:
Socialization: Your puppy learns to be at ease around people, other dogs, and the outside world
Training: Your puppy learns Sit, Down, Stay, Come, Walk on Leash, Leave it, and other commands
Activity: You learn how to exercise your puppy’s mind and body in fun and educational ways
Responsibility: Teaching your puppy how to be a good citizen in the human world.
Other topics we teach include:
- behavior problem prevention and solving
- games to play and teach
- socialization with other dogs
- socialization with other people
Some of the topics we cover our puppy training classes include:
- Kindred Spirits encourages the entire family to attend classes. It’s easier for us to teach the group than it is for one person to come to class and then go home and try to teach everyone else. Plus, other family members may have questions we can answer. This also helps ensure that everyone is teaching the dog the same way. However, with children we have some rules that must be adhered to for everyone’s safety – especially the safety of the kids.
- Children must remain within arm’s reach of their parents at all times. Children must leave other dogs alone. They are not to pet other dogs. Even if dogs are friendly that dog is at class to learn also. Dogs chase things that move–especially children–so kids must walk at all times.
- Children may participate in training with a parent but the parent is the primary trainer.
- The creek and pond at Kindred Spirits is protected wetlands and is not fenced off. Please keep your child up on the top level of the yard and do not allow him/her to go down to the pond.
- Under no circumstances shall a child be dropped off at Kindred Spirits without a parent.
Thank you for allowing Kindred Spirits Dog Training to continue to allow children in our puppy training classes while maintaining a safe learning experience for all.